Monday, January 23, 2012

It's what's for supper TONIGHT

I have been planning out my meals in advance faithfully; some of you would be so impressed! However, tonight I had spaghetti scheduled, and when I went to make it, it sounded so.....boring. So, I decided to play around a little bit and had a great result!! Here's approximately what I did...

Chopped 1 onion and about a half of a green pepper up and sauted them in a tiny bit of olive oil, seasoned with garlic powder, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes until tender. Reheated a pound of hamburger (save time and money...buy it in 10 lb. tubes when it goes on sale, brown it up right away, and freeze in .75 lb. portions. It goes farther, is ready when you want it, and is cheaper than buying it by the pound!), then threw a jar of spaghetti sauce in and let that simmer. I boiled about 10 ounces of whole wheat penne until tender, then drained them and threw them back in the pot. Put in 3 ounces or so of reduced fat cream cheese, let it melt all over, then stirred in the sauce. I'm sure it would have been great then, but I, super mom/wife, went a step farther. I tossed it into a 9 x 13 inch pan, sprinkled about a cup of low fat mozzarella on top, and broiled until the cheese melted. YUM! Ok, it really wasn't anything fancy but it DID hit the spot as something a little more exciting than the usual spaghetti. And I only kinda had to bribe Grady to eat it (he does not do green pepper, something this supermom kinda forgot/purposefully doesn't really care about.) :) Lemme know if you make it! And if you want to order an advanced copy of my cookbook.....

No comments:

Post a Comment